BUCKWHEAT WALNUT FLATBREAD
Prep Time: 10 minutes, Cook Time: 45 minutes
250ml full cream milk
7g dried yeast
2 tablespoons honey
200g plain flour
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 1/4 cup walnuts roasted, rubbed and chopped
3 teaspoons salt flakes plus extra for sprinkling on top
2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil plus extra for brushing
1 tablespoon roasted fennel seeds plus extra for sprinkling on top
1 medium oranges zested
100g buckwheat flour
How to cook:
1. Preheat a fan forced oven to 180°C.
2. Warm the milk in a saucepan over a medium heat until just warm and then place in a large bowl. Whisk in the yeast, honey and 100 grams of the plain flour. Let stand for 15 minutes.
3. Add the ginger, walnuts, salt, Olive Oil, fennel seeds and orange rind to the yeast mixture and mix together well.
4. Mix the remaining plain flour and buckwheat flour together, tip this out onto the bench and make a well in the centre. Pour the yeast mixture into the centre of the well and using a fork, slowly incorporate the flour into the yeast mixture, and once all the flour has been incorporated use your hands to knead into a dough (you may need to use extra plain flour to dust the work bench and your hands if the dough is slightly tacky) at this stage the dough should bounce back and be reasonably firm.
5. Divide the dough into four even pieces. Dust flour on the bench and roll each piece of dough out to 2 millimetres thick.
6. Place the flat bread onto a lightly floured baking tray, brush with Olive Oil then bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and place onto a wire rack. If you prefer the flat bread to be a crispier texture allow to cook for a further 5 to 10 minutes, note that the flat breads will feel slightly soft straight out of the oven but will firm/crisp up once cooled down. To serve snap the bread into pieces.